Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2005, 09:11 AM
Still Bill
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Re: HELP with ASSEMBLY

Originally posted by bashbrook
I recently acquired a 12L3 in a trade and I am having a devil of a time getting the spur and pinion on. I am down to a 75 or 72 spur gear and still can't get a pinion on the motor. There is not enough room with nut on the tbar preventing me from moving the motor any further away. My offset is a 2 but my ride height is a little low from what I have been reading at 3.5. Do I need a different offset, remove the nut on the tbar, what do I need to do?

Help!
Brad
Brad,

I never see anyone using 48 pitch gearing on their 12th scale cars...including the 12L3.

Try a 96 tooth/64 pitch Kimbrough spur gear in 64 pitch with 64 pitch pinions. Initially, you could start of with 3-5 pinion sizes to cover the range you need. You would have to talk with others at your track to see what gearing works for the motor you run. They will give you rollout numbers and you will have to learn that as opposed to just gearing ratios. The only way to go.

Yes, leave out the center t-bar screw/spacer/net and use a small file through the bottom opening to file the back of the t-bar to a 45 degree angle. This will give you the maximum amount of room for larger spurs.