R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - TT-01 Forum
Thread: TT-01 Forum
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2014, 07:36 PM
Siddyboy
Tech Rookie

Smile

Originally Posted by .crispy
Just out of curiosity, what is your hypothesis for the camber experiment?

How are you going to measure motor efficiency and battery life?

What other variables might come into play? How are you going to keep them constant?
To measure battery efficiency, I will be using the formula Efficiency formula which is Input Power/Output Power * 100%.

To calculate input power, we have the power ratings on the car's battery. Using P=VI input can be calculated. To calculate output, the car will be traveling in a straight line and I will have a constant distance set with a speed gun. After each run, I will measure the kinetic energy output of the car by weighing it and measuring its speed. E(Kinetic) = 1/2*m*v^2. Power is basically energy over a certain time. So, I will divide the E (Kinetic) over the time taken for the car to travel that set distance.

I will also see how camber and toe affect top speed as a sub exploration within the main exploration. The car travels in a straight line with different settings and I will record the speed.

I am still in the planning stages of the experiment. It's for the IB program and we have around half a year to do it. The experiment would be indoor so there would be near constant air resistance. There is friction both with the ground and within the drive train. I will use new LiPo batteries and try to charge them up to a certain constant voltage before I use them.

This is what I know for now.