R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Old 04-17-2014, 05:15 PM
Nemaris
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer1812
I agree with Matt, break in is key! I never used to put much effort or thought into it, and just figured everyone's diff's got gritty after a few days. Then I started putting in the time to do a proper break in..The result is a diff that can last a couple months or more.
I actually use a method I discovered on here or youtube, sorry credit cannot be due since I don't know who started doing it first.

I bought a cheap dog bone that fit into all my 1/10 diffs, then I cut it in half so I can put the other end in the collet of my dremel.

This allows me to do a pre break in so I can have multiple diffs, and if one goes out I have one broken in ready to go. No sweat!

I first get the diff together using caged bearings from avid, or casper has nice ones too. Then I build the diff normally until I get to the part where you tighten the diff down all the way and back off. Instead of just tightening it down all the way which can cause flat spotted balls, I gradually tighten the diff spinning it for 30-40 seconds with the dremel with each 1/8 to 1/4 turn of the diff screw.
I hold the gear while doing all of this obviously, make sure you use the lowest speed possible that will turn the opposite outdrive. Also make sure that you get your diff tight enough to not slip by hand before starting this process.

I believe this will also work with a non impact drill that uses the standard chuck.