R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - GT class--buggy-based on road!
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2014, 10:33 AM
MantisWorx
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Grenade10
I do beleive the Midwest Series will be following the ROAR rules, as I was looking at making one or two of the events. The Byrons race in June, which is not part of the series, will be running an open engine just like the guys in Texas and Utah do.

But from what I have seen, and I do travel quit a bit and race the GT class, you really are not giving up much if anything with a good 5 port. Exception being Homestead that has a 300+ long straigt.

I'm going to take 5, 7 and 9 port engines to the Novarossi race in Houston and we'll see how it goes. My guess is the 7 port with thier 260' straight, but the 5 port may surprise me. In the past, the 9 port which is a true onroad engine just does not work as well in the infield. It was built and modified for 4wd open cars ..... really works well there.

I have raced against the ISON in LA and it was fast. Ty has the clio, from Murnan and since I use his stuff as well, know it would be a good option. I'm not sponsored by him, but purchase his stuff as it just works ......

Yes the ISON is the best overall choice, especially since your track is going by ROAR rules!
Here in houston (my home track) the 9 ports rule and have the fastest lap and qualifying records at every event this year ( i know because i have had the TQ and fastest lap at both of them and in Brownsville with a 9port!!) . The straight is 260 ft but you go into the straight at a higher speed than homestead! If your car is setup good you are full throttle immediately after the timing loop where as in Fl you go into the straight from a very sharp turn. We get the same speeds here in houston that were run in Homestead!

The class is still evolving and we as a group are figuring out how to make these cars fast!! Just look at how much quicker GT was in FL than last year!! 2013 fast lap was 19.89 and i think only 2 guys did it , 2014 that time got pounded down to 19.2 with a handfull of guys running mid 19's It was very exciting to watch Paolo and Scotty grind it out , incredible actually!

More food for thought on the port debate, in FL the faster sportsman guys were still running 54-56mph on speed and the majority of the pro guys were running 55-58 MPH Paolo and Scotty were able to crack of a few 60-61mph speeds. Some of the sportsman lap times crept into the mid 20 sec range which is also where the majority of the pro class car were ( i had engine issues but my fastest lap for the weekend was 20.01) So you have to ask yourself this question, If a restricted 5port can get within a few MPH of an unrestricted 9port then why run a 9 port? and why did no pro run modded 5ports? I asked this question myself and was told simply "9 port novarossi engines are faster all around than the 7 and especially 5 port, its that simple". when you restrict an engine(via smaller venturi) you dont lose top end you lose bottom end) , the engine will not wind up as fast with a restriction, thats just how engines work. max RPM is max RPM a restrictor will not change that, it will however slow down how long it takes to get there. SO in laymans terms a restricted 5port will not have more bottom end than a non restricted 9 port!!