R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - RT281 Raceway "Off-road" Friedens, PA 15501
Old 04-10-2014, 07:57 AM
Team T2C
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)
Exclamation

April 10th 2014
Over the past winter I heard so many people tell me that they heard RT281 was closing. I continued to hear it and hear it to the point I was getting pissed. We have been around for 5 years now so why now are we supposedly closing? But it did get me thinking about what if I did? So after some deep thoughts I have come to the following conclusion.

RT281 Raceway will be closing for good! The decision is based on the following reasons
· No external funding for track expenses and improvements
· Declining interest from new racers
· Declining attendance amongst local racers
· Increasing costs due to “race track” insurance requirements.
· Competing tracks

It has been an exciting and fun filled 5 years since the concept and testing began for RT281 raceway. I knew from the past that most tracks are not profitable what with insurance, maintenance, equipment rental/repair and mostly the TIME that it takes make it right. You must have a deep love for the hobby and hopefully gain additional family members (racers, helpers, etc.) in the process to make it all worth it.

But with the recent decline of participants locally and some of the recent unfortunate accidents and claims against tracks, it just doesn’t make sense to risk what my family has worked for over the years, in order to save money on “No insurance” or “Hobby or Club” style Insurance coverage. In addition, our hobby shop was busy and able to commit the operational funding. I must say that declining sales at the shop, made me realized that I was doing this only for me, and not my family. So starting now, I plan on turning my time and efforts, that have enabled the track to survive this long, towards my family’s activities.

In leaving, I would like to thank the Herwig’s for all that they did over the years.
We also have two complete rc4 lap counting systems available. We are also selling the hobby shop. If someone is interested in any of them, please contact me for information.
Thanks for the great times (and the hard ones) that I have enjoyed with each and everyone of you. I will always remember the enjoyment from those times. J

Shawn