R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2014, 09:57 AM
Granpa
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Dan
Hope it means it can accept square packs now.
Dan, nothing personal here, but I sure hope not. Going to square packs means we'll be entering the world of $100+ battery packs. Yes, I'm aware that there are square, as opposed to rounded packs, for less money. But, knowing the mentality of racers, we'll be having a battery war plus a motor war. You know, which battery has a million mAh and a 500C rating. No thanx, I'm perfectly happy with the "Sport" packs, $25-35, that we are using now. But then, I was perfectly content with the Silver Can motors.

Used to be that you could put a competitive Mini down on the track for about $250-300. Try that these days with the 21.5 motors. Add in flat battery packs and all the other B/L accessories and you've swollen the budget quite a bit.

What's really irritating is what a bunch of "whiners" and keyboard experts did to Silver Can racing. If you repeat a LIE or untruth often and loudly enough, you will eventually get people to believe it. I'll bet that fully 3/4 or more of you believe that there's a lot of Voo Doo, magic, secrets in making a Silver Can perform. None of this is true---I'm mainly referring to last years TCS rpm limited motors. The fast guys with Silver Cans are still the fast guys. The GD motor being used had very little to do with it. Most of the "slow" Silver Cans were just poorly maintained. Also, if anyone has noticed, the spread in times is larger with the 21.5 B/L motors than with the Silver Cans. So much for more equal racing.