R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread
Old 03-26-2014, 10:53 AM
Bob Barry
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Grasschopper
Hey Bob - What type of driver would prefer the MM? I had read a post suggesting that the MM cars (any of them) drive more like a 4wd car than a RM car. I run eBuggy and 4wd 1/10 Buggy too so I wonder if the MM would be a more consistent driving feel for me.
Originally Posted by mxracer458
I think or believe if you have a smooth throttle finger,like to roll it through the corners,like a onroad driver mm would be the preferred choice,
MM caters to the driver who knows how to throttle drive. You carry more corner speed at the expense of losing rear grip, so you have to be smoother coming out of the turns.

RM caters to the driver who loves to grip and rip. If you are a point and shoot guy, this is probably where you will like to be.

On an equal playing field, MM tends to feel more consistent once you get it dialed in. When it slides out, it's usually more gradual and you can get it back or just slide with it.

RM usually is more locked in, so when it starts to slide out, you are usually going to have to really work to get it back under control (picture all those old car chase movies where the driver is counter steering like crazy)

As far as the MM feeling like 4wd....I think the reason it gets that comparison is that it jumps flat like a 4wd and it rotates hard like a 4wd. If anything I would compare it to a 4wd that was running front 1 way.

Which ever route you go, it's my feeling that you have to pick one and commit to it. You'll be faster with a car that you are committed too and trust vs one that you aren't sold on but think is faster (because other people tell you).

Anyway, that's my observations and advice. At this point of my racing career, the competition has evolved so much and gotten so fast. I've realized now that I'm a lot better at tuning and setting up cars than I am driving.