R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Serpent S411
Thread: Serpent S411
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2014, 10:33 AM
Johnny Wishbone
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Shock Build

So I have been meaning to post this shock build that seems to work pretty good so far for me. Unfortunately, I had a few picsw to go with this, but the quality isn't very good and then the size was tto big to actually get them on here.

Reguardless, here is the build. I use the blue orings that come in the Traxxas #2362, along with these I use the shims from Yokomo ZC-S40 and finally I use the Tamiya bladders, (sorry no part number).

I only run one of the orings in each shock and use a spacer to take up the spacing difference as the Traxxas oring is quite a bit thinner. The spacer I use can be made up of either nylon shock spacers or washers, I use the nylon part to cut down on loose parts. The thickness should take up the thickness of one of the stock orings that you are eliminating.
Below the blue oring I use the Yokomo shim(s) and then the lower shock cap. The shims do a couple of things and allow you to do a bit of leak control and drag control. Because the shims outer diameter is a perfect fit for the outside but has a little larger inner hole for the shaft to slide thru. By doing this it will squish the oring on the outer diameter and tighten the inner hole, thus giving a better seal. I started off using a 0.5mm shim which worked very good. The nice thing is that the other thickness shims allow you to add or subtract to get a controlled tightness on the oring.

If you feel that a single oring isn't enough you can double up on the blue oring. Running a guide washer, oring, shim, oring, shim. The nice thing about these orings are that they are like a xring, or two small lips for seal. They also are quite a bit thinner than a normal oring so it gives you some room to play with the shims. I have also found they don't seem to swell or harden up as bad as some of the alternates.

I use the Tamiya black bladders just beacuse I like the feel of them a little better and the rounded lip on the outer ring make them easier to put the cap over them. I also have the Yokomo clearsh blue bladders, but haven't tried them out yet, but I think they can be a good substitude for the Tamiya ones. The one thing I find with the Tamiya bladders is that I can get a shock with less rebound than when using other bladders. I may try the bladders that come with the Traxxas oring kit above, but again haven't had the chance to try them yet.