R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread
Old 03-15-2014, 05:33 PM
rigor
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SilentHunter
Rigor is the only one that is having this problem....something about hooking??? Talked to some ae drivers and they all found it funny. Mines dialed (clay, indoors) thanks to the help of those drivers. I think it's lack of knowledge when tuning or driving.

Take the ballstud washers out on the rear brace and lay down the shocks in the back. Run 2x1.6 machined pistons all the way around and 32.5wt in the front and 30wt in the back. 69 tooth spur and run 3mm trailing axle with 1mm on the Ackerman. Also mid motor buggies like their diffs a little tight.
First off, if you followed the entire thread, you'd see a few others spoke up with similar behavior... one guy was even at the same track(s). Also, the current crop of guys doing well with the B5m around here in Orange County, have all moved to the flat arms and have definitely tweaked the rear end of the vehicle, because several people couldn't get the rear calmed down.

If you read my posts, you'd know I've been trying to tune the car with the assistance of a mechanical engineer. This individual is very well known around our parts, cause he's a nice dude, and he understands the mechanics of tuning cars; not by "run this setup" or "do this instead".... dude can ask what your car is doing wrong or what you're looking to improve, and can explain what to do and why in great detail. This is for any car; off-road, on-road, and not brand specific. So it's not like I've just been trying things at random.

And my current rear setup that made it feel better to me, is quite similar to what you described. I went to 30 oil in the back with 1.6 pistons, softer springs, 0 inner rear ballstud washers, and went to the outside hole on the lower rear arm for the shock mounting. I also went down to a 78 spur just to get the motor back a hair more.

I'm glad your team drivers out there in WI find it amusing, but the issue is real and certainly not made up. It's no coincidence all our AE guys here in OC where a ton of pro RC drivers and companies call home, have already changed to the flat arms, rear end tweaking, etc. Everyone experiencing it ? Probably not. All tracks and surfaces and driving styles are different.

Regarding driving knowledge, My buddy's Serpent 2wd mid-motor drives how I was expecting and hoping the B5m would. And no doubt the B5m will get there, just need further driving & tuning time.

Last edited by rigor; 03-15-2014 at 07:22 PM.