R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Spec-R R1
Thread: Spec-R R1
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2014, 08:00 AM
k_bojar
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DBM
Had my R1 out for its maiden voyage tonight. The Turnigy power system worked great.....lots of power/speed! Brakes were adequate. I'm using the 120A turbo esc (version 1). My driving leaves a lot to be desired though. :P A veteran driver drove my car and recommended I get a different servo. The 915 isn't very smooth, and doesn't center perfectly. It seems slower than its specs dictate. I'm curious if it is the kimbrough servo saver that might be causing the centering issues though. I should have thrown a solid servo horn on it to see if things improved.
Even with my radio's steering limits set to 120% right, 80% left, the servo still had more throw to the left, and not enough steering lock in general. I'm not sure if it is the fault of the radio, or the servo. I'll install a different servo and compare.
are you sure you centered the servo correctly before putting the servo saver on?

sometimes, even the best servos, once the saver is on, is not exactly centered and you need to use sub-trim to get it dead centered. I know on one of the futaba I've use, I've had to set the sub-trim at like L10 to get the saver in the right position

i'd reset all the end points back to 100%, and reset the trim back to 0. then refit the servo saver - pull the servo out of the car if you need to

once its centered, find the sub-trim function on your radio and adjust it until the saver is in the most vertical position. then remount it in the car and see how the throw is.

at 6.0v (normal for most BEC in speedos), that servo says .10 for speed - that's about average for servos, some are quicker and some are slower. maybe your speed control has a lower BEC voltage - you might want to check the manual for its spec.. or post it up here

I just found this on one of the hobbykind speedo - not sure if this is the one you're using, but adds to what I was saying about your speedo not putting enough volts out for the servo:

Specs:
Continuous Current: 120A
Burst Current: 480A
Suitable Car: 1/10 on and off road
Battery: 2-3 cells Lipo (5-9 cells NI-xx)
BEC output: 5.7V/3A switch mode built-in
Motor type: Sensorless and sensored brushless motors
Running mode: Forward only or forward with reverse (user programmable mode)
Dimension: 43 x 36 x 33mm
Weight: 84g

that's from the hobbyking X-Car 120a speedo. so that's why your servo seems a little slow. so switching servos may not get you much better performance. might have to change out the speedo

Last edited by k_bojar; 03-13-2014 at 08:24 AM. Reason: found info!!