R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2014, 12:03 PM
k_bojar
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
On a weekly basis at my home "short" track in Indy, I am lucky to race with several very good VTA racers. At least 3 of the racers are good enough to be in the top 10 at any national VTA event and several more would be in the top 20.

What I've learned over time is that their cars are fast because they get through the corners better, not because they have better batteries or motors or chassis. It took me a long time to accept that I wasn't being beat by newer/better equipment. Once I put my ego aside and started focusing on making MY setup better, my results improved.

I should add that I'm not naive. I know that a few of the good racers at my track have tested their motors and know which one is best. But I also know that when my setup was better, I turned faster laps than they did even if they were running their best motor & battery.

In the end I understand that someone might have a "faster" motor than me. But I also understand that I should be able to overcome any disadvantages I have by getting the most out of the equipment I'm using (which is something I rarely do). Until I have the perfect setup car for the layout, I'm going to spend my time trying to beat the track instead of worrying why other racers are doing better than me.
exactly.. the best motor in the world won't help you if you can't control your car, or it handles like crap

I'd gladly take a slightly 'slower' motor, if I knew I had the speed in corners and the twisty bits...fast motors only help you on long straights but if you're faster in the twisty bits, you'll make up for that straight line speed