R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)
Old 03-11-2014, 09:29 AM
hanulec
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gocoogs
So hypothetically speaking, let's say I wanted to calm my car down a bit for
Higher bite surfaces... On my other TCs, one way I could do that would be to increase the dampening rate (go from 350 to 450wt), but I clearly wouldn't be required to change the spring rate.

As I read the section in the manual that explains the shock settings, the "A" adjustment is used to adjust the dampening AND the spring rate simultaneously, however the "B" adjustment is used to just adjust the spring rate. So if I didn't want to adjust the spring rate, but instead just increase the dampening, would I make the "A" value larger and the "B" value smaller to reach my desired setting?

Further, using another hypothetical situation... Let's say I wanted to get a little less steering/more rear bite mid corner... One way I would get that with my normal TC would be to lay the front shocks in a hole or stand the rear shocks up a hole... But that adjustment isn't an option with this car... What might I do to have a similar affect with this car given matching front and rear suspension geometry?

this is a long question -- but lets see how i can help. lets start w/ the basics--

1- adjustment "A" is for dampening. higher values = more dampening

2- adjustment "B" is for spring rate. higher values = less spring rate

3- if you want to "lay down" your shocks -- that is making the spring softer. so, just adjust the "B" value (the hook) and increase the value to make it softer.

4- if you want to "stand up" your shocsk -- what is making the spring harder. so, just adjust the "B" value (the hook) and decrease the value making it harder.

i don't want to start a discussion necessarily if i agree w/ your tuning suggestions above. the "tools" listed above should be a great place to start.

additionally, over the past year, on a high bite surface in america, we've found it smart to try--
1- use less front sauce (maybe even glue front side walls)
2- less front camber (don't be afraid to run 1 degree)
3- increase front track width w/ 0.5mm wheel shims
4- decreasing the rear spring rate
5- increase the front dampening
6- increase the front bar thickness (but if you go too far -- you will traction roll)