R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2014, 08:38 PM
Granpa
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ncpantherfan
23 is for the Johnson silver can as per tcs rules, that is about average. Is there a much cheaper source I didn't know about?

How do you know what parts to swap out on bl motors? Is it just buying a bunch of parts and trial and error?
Well it looks like I didn't succeed in making it understandable for you, so let me go through how you might do this. Since a Speed Passion is one of the motors on your list, let's do that one.

First buy the right motor. SP has the V3 1 cell motor which has the small or high rpm rotor, so you won't have to buy an extra rotor. Second, you have to figure out how much you can safely advance the timing. For this particular motor you will have to buy an optional sensor unit. Whether you use a +20, 30, or 40 unit is trial and error. The motor has 10 degrees of adjustment on the end bell so with a +40 sensor unit, you can get a max of 50 degrees of timing, which I don't suggest. Also, you have to take the motor out to adjust the timing.

You sort of have to go through an analysis on each motor, cause each seems to have strong and weak points. The Thunder Power has a sensor wire that plugs in differently from the other motors and for me is a little harder to work on. The Novak goes nowhere unless you advance past the label. The Trinity has more tuning rotors than I have fingers or $$$$ to buy them.

Of the motors on your list, I'd buy either the Speed Passion or the Killshot. Just do your research, cause I can't tell you which is better for your track.