R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Durango DEST210R thread
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2014, 07:05 PM
Chuckrock
Tech Rookie

Hello all,

I have a Dest210 and I have raced it at a local track a few times with the RTR set up. Speed passion 13.5T sensored motor and a Speed passion 60A esc. Using either a Peak Powermax 4200mah 45c or Geforce 4000mah 25c batteries. Stock 26t pinion and 87t spur. Never any issues.

So for kicks, I had a 12T Turnigy finned motor and a Turnigy 60A esc. Using same batteries. I am messing around with the gearing, changed it to either a 24t pinion and 84t spur, or 23t pinion and 83t spur or 24t pinion and 87t spur. I am having issues with the car hesitating on acceleration. Seems it has spotty throttle at the low end and then it bursts out. It happens from the beginning, before motor temps become an issue. I'm trying to use a gearing that is near to the same FDR as the stock 26t/87t. Keeping it around a 9.0-9.5 FDR. The recommended FDR is 9.0 for a 12T motor. For the Durango, the internal ratio is 2.6. The battery and esc never get hot, but after 5 min the motor can get too hot to touch. Is this motor just not strong enough for it? Do I need to go even lower on the pinion for this smaller motor? I do have a program card for the turnigy esc, perhaps an adjustment with some of the settings? I haven't taken it back out to the track yet, just parking lot or the park.

Also, would the FDR be the same for each motor regardless of turns? Or could it be different for the turnigy motors due to the fact they are finned and a little smaller internally?

As a side note, I had the 12T turnigy motor and esc in a Blackfoot Xtreme and although the gearing is much different in the BFX, I never had any issues with the set up.

Thank you in advance for any ideas. I like having reverse on this esc. Heh

Chuck