R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - HPI Sprint 2 Mods
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2014, 09:04 AM
tswmcello
Tech Rookie

Default Starting out with a sprint 2

Intro;
Hey everyone, so I just recently acquired a sprint 2 flux with two 7cells, an extra rx, tons of extra parts, and three bodies (rx7, mustang, and honda odyssey) for $200 (I think that's a good deal?). Before I bought the sprint I read most of this thread and liking a good project (electrical engineering major at Case) I bought the sprint 2. I also have a completely upgraded slash 2wd that I raced once and may race again.

What I did;
First thing I did was move the waterproof electronics to my traxxas slash and take my sidewinder v1/ tekin 448 combo from the slash and put that in the sprint (I don't plan on taking the sprint through puddles..). The tekin 448 in the sprint runs like butter, the original vector was very torquey and jittery... something I don't mind in bashing my slash around in puddles and general messing around. I also have a 3s 6400 maH 20c, 2s 4000 maH 30c, 3000 maH 7 cell, 3300 maH 7 cell, and a 5 year old (still cranking) 4600 maH 6 cell.

What I would like to do;
I would like to race my sprint 2 this summer on a local asphalt track in the open 1/10 touring class, it has one straightway and a lot of turns. I have heard about grippers and drifters...and I like gripping but also a little slide for tights turns.

Sprint 2 Current electronics:
2s lipo, 6 cell NiMh
Flysky rx
Tekin 448 sensor less brushless 4800kV
Sidewinder v1 (still runs like a champ)
Stock servo

So far:
Upgraded to all RPM 4-40 ends (purple)
Ordered Exotek CF chassis
23T 48P traxxas pinion (I have no idea if P is right but it works fine and haven't had any stripping)

What I plan on doing:
Install Exotech chassis
Battery Bracket cutting
Spring Mod for bones (will be sad to see a pilot pen wasted..)
Front belt lifter (need bearings)
shim stupid left crank (I can't believe how much it moves!)
Maybe CVD's ($$..)
Rear belt tensioner
shims, shims..
50wt oil in shocks
kevlar belts

Questions;
Is it more worth it to shim the hell out of the stock steering, or drop $30 on a sprint 1 steering set? What setup would you guys recommend for asphalt on a technical track in summer heat? My stock servo sucks, its dying and returns very slowly, what servo would you recommend? Are there any other mods that are vital to do well in a race? Gearing recommendations?

I don't need every lap to be exactly the same or steering to be 100% perfect... I like the excitement of change and quick decisions and don't mind crashing every once in a while to learn a lesson.I will try to get a video of me racing my slash form a couple years ago so you guys can see the track.

BTW, Marv your mods and advice are amazing, I have never seen a thread with such detailed mod descriptions. As well as advice from everyone else on this thread.. very committed following for the sprint 2!