R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team C 1/8 GT car
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2014, 11:41 PM
RoketRdr
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Actually I can't post pics of the casings since I've thrown them away. But what I can tell you after blowing up 5 of them is that they get so hot internally that the inner bearing housing begins to melt and the bearing starts pushing forward into the housing. Doesn't take long for the shaft to start floating around and completely destroy the inner bearing. The outer bearing remains intact and unaffected. The strange thing that me and Marcus cant figure out on my car is that after blowing up 5 diffs the ring and pinons were perfectly fine and reusable. Didn't do any damage to them at all. I suspect they've been heat treated and/or salt bath nitride treated. The only thing I've had to replace each time is the front half of the diff case and the inner bearing. So far I have averaged 12-15 tanks of fuel before blowing a diff running in 60-75* weather. I will grab a few of the ring and pinion sets and take pics so you can see that they are unaffected. HOWEVER...I do believe that each time Marcus had one blow it did tear up his ring/pinion set.