R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Xray T4'14
Thread: Xray T4'14
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2014, 04:45 AM
Troy Carter
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by grippgoat
I'm looking for suggestions to gain steering everywhere on a large, fast, low grip asphalt track, without killing the tires. I've tried a bunch of things with gemoetry. Some have helped a bit. But I think my overall issue is probably tires at this point.

Rough setup:
Kit springs, assoc 40f/37.5r (it's possible I accidentally swapped shocka front to rear, though)
Medium links, Front 1mm in and out, rear 2mm in and 4mm out
FF .5 out, FR center, RF .5 up, RR .5 up
1mm ackerman
Front arms forward
4mm bump steer
-1.5 camber
A pinch of toe out front (eyeballed)
Front spool, rear 2000
Mazdaspeed 6
5.5 with boost

Before, the rear mounts were .5 out. I think .5 up is better, but I'm just not sure. Front sweep seems good. I first tried just the FF change. Then I took it out again after other changes (just to see). Then I added it back in with arms forward to try and isolate it more, and I don't think it was as good.

But the tires take long enough to get heat, it's really hard to gauge the changes.

The big thing I haven't messed with yet is springs and shock angles.

-Mike
Outside I took a liking to the harder 2.5-2.8 progressive springs all around and 35f/32.5r associated oil when grip was OK. I ran 2.3's all around in really low grip with 30w rear oil. I also ran 3k in the rear diff, any lighter in mod on the big track and the rear was just too locked in.

Is the front of your body as low as possible? On those big tracks running fast it matters and can generate noticeably more steering if it's right on the deck.

Moving weight around can be a trade off. Move it back and the car should have better initial turn in but won't weight the front and turn well mid turn.