R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Serpent S411
Thread: Serpent S411
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2014, 02:14 PM
Stealth_RT
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Built up an S411 Sport TC to run in VTA class. Ran the car for the first time this past Sunday, and it ran really well. Previously, I had been running a HB Cyclone/Exotek car, and it was fast, but kinda aggressive. The S411 has just as much steering, but is smoother through and out of the corners. The only upgrades I bought for the car to start with were the DCJ front driveshafts and the 411 Sport swaybar kit. Put the DCJ's in the front and moved the stock CVDs to the rear, and didn't use the stock rear dogbones.

The only issues I had with the build were 1) the stock shock orings, and 2) fitting VTA wheels on the car. The stock shock orings had a ton of stiction, so I replaced the upper stock oring with a kyosho x-ring. Shocks felt good after that.

Ran 850 PT front oil, stock 3 hole pistons, and 22lb corally springs on front. 500 PT oil, 3 hole pistons, and 12lb corally springs on the rear. Outer holes on the arms, and inner holes on the towers, front and rear. 1.4 front swaybar, 1.2 rear swaybar.

had to use some different wheel hexes, with wider offsets, to get the VTA wheels to fit on the car and clear the shock bottoms and steering knuckles. I re-used some hexes that I was using on the HB car. Not exactly sure what brand they are, as they came with my used HB car. I 'think' they are Xray +1.5mm hexes in the front (305353) and +.75mm hexes in the rear (305352) I couldn't find any HB/HPI offset hexes, so I'm guessing Xray. Anyway, the car needs offset hexes no matter what.

Ordered a complete V2 rear gear diff w/aluminum outdrives, to take some weight off the drivetrain and pick up some acceleration out of the corners. The stock rear gear diff felt good though. Smooth diff action, not leaking, good grip in the corners with the stock 1200 oil.

All in all, a solid car for VTA. Even with the heavier fiberglass chassis and towers I still had to add about 4.5 oz of lead to make VTA min. weight.