R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Schumacher Mi5
Thread: Schumacher Mi5
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2014, 06:53 AM
Shock Tower
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by TryHard
In response;

1) the optional rear hub plates can help with freeing the car up on tighter tracks. I tend to flick between the two groove on a track with tight hairpins, and the kit plates on a track that is more flowing. On a flowing open track, the two groove can make the car over rotate on exit a little, but does help with initial stability too. Honestly, best thing to do (as they aren't expensive) is try them. The two groove moves the outer rear link in towards the car centre 2mm, and the one groove 1mm, so shorter links than the kit plates. One good thing is that one full turn of the camber link tie rod equates to 1mm... So changing the plates is pretty quick and painless, and don't even need to use gauges (I have checked this against gauges mind)

2) I assume you mean the top deck mounts that go against the shock towers? If so, the aluminium mounts are a little stronger and stiffer, and this is more so in higher ambient temperatures, as the plastic mounts soften in heat. They also do away with any need for lock nuts, as the alu mounts are all threaded.

3) For modified, I tend to use 2000 or 3000 oil. I do have a diff with 4k ready to go. I tend to find that a thicker rear oil really helps with on power steering, although needs a better trigger finger in mod. Lower than 2k, and the car tends to diff out, IMO.

HiH
Ed
Thanks for the input Tryhard !

I tried the 2 groove link, and thought that it made the car very hard to steer, almost to agressive for my taste. When I changed back to the standard ones, I thought that the car was more easy to drive.

And regarding the top deck mounts against the shock towers, then I don't think I will spend money on them, after hearing your thoughts.

I also tried the 1000CST in the gear diff, and think the car rotates better through the corners, but on power it seems to just spin the wheels.

I can also see, that on most of the setup sheets on petit rc, the diff is with 2000 and above.