R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2013, 08:42 AM
Granpa
Tech Elite

It's interesting to see so many people being enthusiastic about going to B/L motors and escs. I suspect it's because they feel that this will level the playing field. For those of you feeling this way, you may be mistaken for some of the following reasons.

1. For the most part, the fast guys will still be the fast guys. The 21.5 cars are faster than the Silvercan cars, so driving and set up becomes much more difficult.

2. Believe me, we will be going from a level playing field to one that's not. Not all 21.5 motors are the same speed. So instead of spending $15-20 for a motor to find a "good" one, you'll be spending $80-90. Anyone know who makes the fastest 21.5??????

3. Timing. Another interesting possible glitch. Most motor manufacturers, etch the timing marks into the motor. One, and there may be others, use a label. I'll let you draw your own conclusions on that one.

4. Tires. You have to know what to do to with the tires.

5. There will be a much bigger disparity in lap times. The higher speeds will make this a much more dangerous situation.

There are probably more things, but these are the ones that come immediately to mind. I believe that this switch does not "level" the playing field, but will have the opposite affect. Most of the good set ups for a Silvercan have been posted. There are significant changes that need to be made for a good 21.5 car. So far these haven't been posted.