R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Xray T4'14
Thread: Xray T4'14
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2013, 01:37 AM
Skiddins
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by grippgoat
I can't really decide if I made progress with my setup this weekend. I ran Q1 with a basic setup based on my previous race. That used RSD Orange/Pink F/R with medium camber links, the rest kit. Didn't do well, but didn't over-drive it.

Q2 I dropped the front roll center by 0.5mm. Hated that. The car wouldn't get into the corners at all. It was a bit faster on fast lap, but less consistent, and not confidence-inspiring.

For the mains, I punted on a setup. Went back to kit 2.5 springs F/R, with rear laid down a hole. Returned RR block to center for 0.5mm anti-dive, widened rear pins by 0.5mm, and added 0.5mm front droop. In practice before mains, with no sauce, it felt pretty well behaved with pretty decent balance, but was hard to tell how fast it was. In the main, it was slower than I was hoping, but I could be pretty aggressive, and all in all it was a decent run. The car is slower than I want it to be, but with the setup that's on it now, I feel like it doesn't have any glaringly bad behavior, and it'll just be a matter of fine-tuning several things to get it tightened up.

Setup attached.

Video:
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

I'm the darker yellow car starting in 5th. The driving looks pretty sloppy, but I was actually being reasonably restrained. Some of that is feeling out the new setup. Some of it is getting thrown out of rhythm by cars in front. And a lot of it is that the car was just floaty / greasy feeling. Tires are possibly going off the cliff, too.

My next steps will be thicker rear diff (to try and address the on-power steering), thicker rear shocks (probably AE 40f/37.5r erring on the thick side), and 0.5mm less droop all around. Might try 3.5* rear toe. Hopefully that'll lock the car in a little more overall.

This video shows the sloppiness wasn't all driver:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVDcNr_rG9A
Win from pole in our 25.5 class.

-Mike

EDIT: Link to higher-rez image of setup on my SkyDrive:
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resi...t=photo%2c.png

ALSO EDIT: Suggestions welcome.
The white car from the front of this video was running Hagbergs Sorex setup with the exception of 400 front oil and 450 rear;
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Admittedly this was on Sorex 28 tyres, but the setup might be useful as we don't have amazing grip either.