R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2013, 03:30 AM
nikzan
Tech Rookie

Good day.

Update on the cut off on the minis with the stock electronics. (i am mekios' buddy).

My car has:

Cut wires from the motor and soldered the esc wires on the tabs of the silvercan (no bullets).
Bridged on-off switch (no switch).
Deans plug on the power esc cables (threw away crappy tamiya plugs).

Soldering was done with a station, all joints are shiny, not cold, no bubbles.

The car steers with a brushless futaba 351 servo and is controlled with sanwa m11 first gen (the one with the module) on 2.4 Ghz and the 92624 receiver.

The batteries are new (3000 Mah 25c from Absima) and are balance charged with Hyperion 730 charger.

I use the stock gearing with the 20T pinion and use ball bearings all around.

The motor was broken in on 4.5 volts for almost 40 minutes (powered from lrp pulsar 3 charger volt out ).

I do not experience cutoffs as usual as Mekios does. It did happen to me though some 6-7 times throughout 5 battery packs and i have to say it is quite frustrating. Mostly happened when cold, but not all the times.

I did some testing with a watt meter.

When sitting idle, i read 0.1A.
When operating the servo i read max 0.2 A (epas are set up)
With various throttle positions, i read from 1A to 8-9A with the wheels off the ground.
With full throttle and wheels locked (not spinning) Amperage went up and last number i saw before cutting off was 50A. When the esc cut off it had exactly the same blinking red led as we saw previously in the track. no throttle but servo was operating normally.

Unfortunately, I cannot have readings from when running the car.

Also i rewired the esc with the power switch and it is pending testing but i doubt it makes any difference, it is just easier to turn it on again...

Any input/ideas?

A new motor is on the way for testing without messing with it at all.

ps
this is my first post here, so taking this chance to introduce myself. Name is Nikos and i send you my best regards from beautiful Greece.

Cheers

Last edited by nikzan; 12-04-2013 at 12:06 PM.