R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - GT class--buggy-based on road!
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2013, 08:21 AM
Tabushi
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jneg
I would suggest that you go with the Cobra GT. Its a great car and it is faster out of the box than the rest of the cars in the class. Yes, you can convert the RC8E but you would need many parts for it to be competitive. I have done this and even for electric GT you need a few of these.

You need a 150cc tank, tank mounts (not factory ones since the tank has to be relocated a few mm from stock). You will need a 2 speed transmition, I have done this with a DM-1 transmision and a Thunder tiger 2 speed. The TT 2 speed is better since the center shaft is the correct size and no mods are needed to mount it. If you go with DM1 2 speed the center mounts need to be relocated. The 2 speed clutch bell can be either one. The shock towers can be replaced with the SC8 towers and body mounts so you can hold the body. For the front bumper you can go with DM1 or Kyosho but you will have to fabricate a little piece to be able to mounted. I would suggest that you change to the optional diff gears since the stock 4.3:1 ratio is going to be good for short tracks but for long tracks the optional 3.30:1 diff ratio is much better. A new center top plate will have to be built depending on the 2 speed you decide to use. So it is more complicated than just putting on a body and slick tires. Like I said it can be done and it will be competitive but it is going to be expensive and time consuming. Your best bet is to go the Serpent route.

"it is faster out of the box than the rest of the cars in the class"

SAY WHAT ?, lol ... come on, lets recommend on OUR experience (wich is subjective for each one of us) or even personal preferences but stating that ... and not as "market reality".

Ive been doing GT for the last 4 years, and without mentioning any brand, i can assure that your statement is VERY wrong.

cya !!