R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Spec-R R1
Thread: Spec-R R1
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2013, 08:20 AM
SteveM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

Originally Posted by daveaustin5
My S1 kit has arrived and I'm hoping to start building it tonight. I feel like a kid at Christmas! It's been 15 years since I last built a kit.

Any tips?

I've read this which looks like a good starting point. Anything else I need to take particular care of?
The instructions in the link you included are good for starters. They mention shimming parts as needed but they don't include shims in the kit and you'll need to buy a package. 3Racing sell a nice set.

Make sure the suspension arms do not bind. They should move completely free and not have any binding anywhere. Also pay careful attention to the shock mounting locations that are identified with letters. Make sure to use the same mounting hole left to right.

None of the instructions mention droop which is a shame. I've run my S1 and R1 with droop settings of 6 in front and 4 in the rear. I use an aluminum droop gauge similar to the Yeah Racing version, but Associated also sell a nice composite version for cheap.

I lube the CVD joints with Super Lube synthetic multi-purpose grease rather than the Tamiya Anti Wear grease or black grease that comes with some kits. The Super Lube is clear and is less messy and doesn't seem to attract dirt or carpet fuzz as much. Makes maintenance easier when there is less mess.

I found that the Spec-R plastic has a bit more moulding flash than other kits and you will need to carefully remove it. I use medium or fine hones, but a fine nail file might also work.