R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Trinity kill shot motors
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2013, 09:14 PM
Jerz616
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bassman2
Has anyone try the high torque stator/high torque rotor or high torque stator with high rpm rotor? which combination would be the best? I just got back from a race, the motor I ran was the high torque stator with stock rotor (purple). My FDR was 3.6 with motor timing of 70. After the 7 min. A main it came off 161 degrees. I finished third place. The 1st and 2nd place both were running Power Thunder with the green rotor (very high torque rotor) with motor timing of 35. Both motors came off about 167 degrees. According the them 167 degrees is pretty typical. Their gearing was about 3.8. I felt did not have the infield quickness compared to both 1st and 2nd place winners.

This was the USGT class (21.5). My question is does anyone know whether I should have changed my FDR to 3.8 and leave my motor timing on 70? or use a high torque rotor in the 21.5 Kill Shot (with high torque stator) with the FDR of 3.6 and leave the motor timing on 70?
70* timing? That's a lot. I bet if you turn it down a little to like 55* you would see a good bit of infield difference. You can try the HT rotor and keep the 3.6 FDR and your low end will increase greatly. I would try the lower timings first as it's a free change. If that isn't a good enough improvement then try the HT rotor. But I would still lower that timing to 60* or less. At a certain point to much timing just produces heat and can cause poor performance.