R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 3 Racing Sakura D3 CS Drift
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2013, 11:15 PM
Erasus
Tech Initiate

Talking

Originally Posted by wanrong
Wow, thanks for the comprehensive explanation. But really sorry that i made an mistake of the chattering, the chattering does not happen when its suspended in the midair but rather when its on the ground moving.

really sorry for not pointing this out earlier.
Hi,

Yeah that is a common observation. It is because you just cannot get the chatter out of non SSK driveshafts completely. It is inherent to the design, the UWAs use. The UWAs main feature is not the increased steering angle but moreover having a wide outer cup ring which allows the dogbone to touch it, before the forces inside the driveshafts become strong enough to cause several chatter and eventually desintegrate the whole assembly.
The standard driveshafts do have that outer ring too, but it is too small, so when the angle on the standard driveshafts is big enough that the driveshaft touches this outer ring, you will notice that the whole driveshafts occasionally locks up, skips and bumps pretty badly.

The same happens in UWAs at full lock, but to a much lesser degree, however, small bumps are still present, especially when there is load on the wheels, as it magnifies the forces that act on the driveshafts, because wheels and driveshafts are constantly fighting each other about which direction to go.
This tendency of the driveshafts to bump, exploits every sloppyness in your steering and suspension assembly, thus causing noticable chatter and wobble.

It really isnt the drivershafts, it is the poor quality sloppy steering crank, c-hubs and the ball cups mostly.
If you can tighten up your front end, the chatter will vanish almost completely.
If you want the chatter to stop, without spending a good amount of time and money to tighten everything up, you can buy yourself the SSK driveshafts (.rcmart.com/3racing-driveshaft-sakura-xisakura-ffsakura-zero-sakx27-p-35191.html?cPath=1102_1106). Though keep in mind that they only have a maximum steering angle of 45 degrees (the same steering angle as the stock driveshafts), compared to the UWAs 54 degrees, so you will loose a good amount of max steering angle, but the chatter will most likely stop completely.

I am very bad at describing things on a technical level, I am afraid.
If you have the time and the willpower to read through this thread, you will find a very good explanation, It is from Caseymacguyver iirc.

I generally recommend to read through this thread, as it is a pretty complete compendium of workarounds, tuning tips and whatnot. It is worth it!

Hope this helps

regards

Era

Last edited by Erasus; 11-06-2013 at 11:57 PM.