R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2013, 01:03 PM
Mugen10
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JamesL_71
Traction rolling a 12th scale(even 17.5) is quite possible on very high bite tracks. We saw a number of guys doing it in Vegas a few weeks ago... and from all accounts, there were plenty of guys rolling @ the Halloween Classic last week, too.

The big things to look at to fix your problem:

1) First and foremost... TIRES: What compounds/sizes are you running? Running your tires too large is probably the number one cause of 12ths acting goofy in high traction situations.

2) Circle size: If you are on a high bite track and are traction rolling in a 180/hairpin, while running a 1.5ft circle and trying to drive the car full wood into the corner, then just cranking the wheel... no amount of setup changes are going to help you. Set your circles at 4ft and go from there.

3) Front camber: 1.5deg could be a bit much if the bite is high. Too much front camber or camber gain will greatly contribute to the car hiking a tire and/or traction rolling. If the track is med/high bite, like you say, I would try 1.0deg. In fact, I would just set it at 0.5deg for now... until you get the problem under control.

4) Front end width: Measure the width. You can probably go wider at the lower arms by a 1mm or so and/or shim out at the axle/wheel, as well.

5) Ride height: 4mm is a bit high unless the track is rather bumpy. If your car isn't bottoming out/dragging in places, Id go down to 3.5mm at the least.
Thanks for the advice.
I am running about a 4ft turn radios and I do think I should cut the tires down more and maybe start off around 42.5mm in rear with 1mm gap F/R.
Also that is good to know use less camber as traction goes up. The traction was getting really high when I was testing. I will also round the front tires more on the edges.