R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class
Old 11-01-2013, 12:58 PM
howardcano
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hitcharide1
Liquid filled dampers?? Where will they be located, or is it too early to spill the beans? If you're using those a/la a WRC style build, then I don't see a problem, can't outlaw one and allow another. The engineer (ha) in me is wondering how durable they'll be, and if they crack or leak, what fluid in how much quantity would end up on the track. When you're ready for it, share a pic so we can see.....
The location is relatively unimportant, since they can either act directly or indirectly (through pushrods, bellcranks, etc.) to damp the motion of the wheels. But I'll try to keep it as simple as possible. If you have some suggestions, I'm all ears!

The durability isn't really in question. Dampers from all of the major manufacturers seem quite durable and well-engineered these days. The only time they tend to leak is when one is damaged in a crash. (Or when I don't rebuild them for a few years!)

"Too early to spill the beans" is probably not a phrase that would apply. Yes, it's still early in the design stage, but I won't keep any secrets, and will freely share ideas and details with anyone. If things go well, I'll probably start a thread on the design, so other people can build it, too. That's what I did for the hardware on my lap timing decoder and transponders.

By the way, I forgot to mention that the front end will use a beam, and the rear will have a live axle, since this seems to be a universally accepted arrangement for a pan car, and I really don't care for all the extra weight/drag/complication of half-shafts, pivot balls, uprights, etc.

Last edited by howardcano; 11-01-2013 at 02:36 PM.