R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2013, 07:57 AM
GP40X
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 6376vette
Not to sound like an A but the 67 and 68 had the same front and rear. the body changes were in 69. 69 and 70 shared a body style. However the 69 and 70 had different grilles, outer headlight buckets, and tail lights along with the elimination of the non functional quarter panel brake scoops on the 69 fastback . the differences are even more with the mach 1 trim package. Curiously the 69 boss 302 did not have the brake scoops but all other fastback cars did.
I guess I should have been more clear when I said the 67, 68, & 69 had a different head light tail light and grille. I meant they had the same head light and grille which was different from the 65-66. 67-70 were the same basic body style. 67, 68, & 69 and the same head light and grille package (with slight variances for different option packages). 70 got an updated larger grille and moved the headlights into the grille (same fenders and hood from 67 to 70) 67 & 68 got the same tail lights. 69 were slightly different tail lights with the same tail light panel as the 67-68. 70 to a new flat tail light panel. 67 to 70 had the same fenders, unibody, hood, trunk, doors, and quarter panels with slight styling changes. Since the Boss 302 was specifically built for racing, the left out the fake brake scoops on the Boss rear quarter panels. Remember, most of the 69 Mustangs run by the "Big Teams" were actually "bodies in white". Ford built and delivered basic bodies to the race shops and purpose built race cars were then built. You can usually tell a car that was built from a "body in white" because it will not have side marker lights if it is 1968 or newer. If the car is built from a street car then it will usually retain the side marker lights (unless it was wrecked and they used a non-side marker light body panel to replace it).