R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Durango DEX210 Thread
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2013, 09:27 AM
fredswain
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've got a bit of a different philosophy on tuning than many others which is called balance tuning. Having run a true trailing arm car I can tell you that a suspension arm that is behind the pivot point takes bumps extremely well. I know that we don't have trailing arms so bear with me. Conventional a-arms have bumps coming at them from 90 degrees which is a bit less effective at absorbing those bumps. Would anyone ever run a forward facing trailing arm (leading arm?) setup where the wheels and arms are in front of the pivot point? Of course not! It would be terrible. What we are doing by sweeping the arms themselves forward by rotating the pivot point forwards is essentially giving ourselves 3 degrees worth of "leading arm" suspension. That makes no sense to me. I want the front and rear arms to be mirror images of each other in length and orientation. I am also changing the upper inner ball stud locations to match those at the front which means setting them out a bit farther. I'll control toe at the hub but I don't want to do it by messing with the suspension geometry. I know there are many who probably think I'm crazy but it's my car and my method.