R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - GT class--buggy-based on road!
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2013, 05:01 PM
momoyluds
Tech Apprentice

Default 1/8 GT conversion, specifically 2-speed

Originally Posted by koval
Back to the mugen,
there is some changes to improve the stability and looking of the car such as the wheelbase that now is 330mm instead 315mm and less active caster in the front .For the conversion i use the kyosho igw 008 optional 2speed transmision (fits pretty good in the diff mounts),the rear center cvd was replaced with a wheel cvd and a custom carbon upperplate was made as an upper plate for the two speed additionally some modifications was nessesary into chassis .
I've been prowling this thread for the past few weeks and this post leaves me encouraged. I'm a Durango dnx408 user and I got a second kit used while shoring up my parts. A new 8th scale course recently opened up near by so a GT class has started, and man it looks fun. Which brings me to my point. I'd like to convert my second kit into a GT racer. I've figured out the tires, ride height, body mounts, shell and bumper. I'm sure I may have missed a few more items, but what is racking my brain is the 2-speed transmission.

My first question for you guys is, has anyone tried this on a durango? Next, is 2speed absolutely necessary? How much will it handicap me simply using a single gear?

Next, are all 2speed kits the same dimension? Will they drop in in place of center diffs? On a Durango?

What else have I missed?

I appreciate any help or feedback on this

Marty