R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2013, 06:52 AM
Granpa
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by silencery
Granpa,

I don't know you, but based on some assumptions (correct me if i'm wrong), I'm guessing you're referring to TQ?

Just curious why you prefer asphalt over carpet?
I was careful not to mention any track by name cause my comments on carpet as a racing surface were not intended in any way to be an indictment of this particular track, it's management, or the facility itself. From what I personally experienced in my one visit there, everything was top rank, so that explains why I lasted for 3 hours. I tried very hard to enjoy my time there, but finally gave up and went home. If you like carpet, this would be a great track for you and the hobby shop is excellent.

I've done quite a few races and practiced on carpet a fair amount, so my prejudices towards carpet, are not based on one visit to this track. I have a long list of reasons for preferring asphalt to carpet, but will give just a few.
1. Having to use a tire sauce and the mess it makes on the inside of the body.
2. Cleaning tires after every run. You spend more time cleaning tires than actual track time.
3. Removing carpet fuzz from the car.
4. Getting yelled at for breaking someones TC. He hits me in the ass, throws me into the wall, and it's my fault cause I didn't get out of his way. By the way this has happened more than once and not just to me. Of course this happens on any track or surface.
5. Most carpet tracks are smaller so #4 is more likely to happen. Thus you try to avoid running when TC are on track and pull off when they go on the track. Doesn't make for a fun time.