R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2013, 12:46 PM
IndyRC_Racer
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

There will always be some variance in electric motors. The question is whether the variances in the different Novak 25.5 motors makes that big of a difference on the track. In my experience, not really. Any differences can be compensated for by adjusting timing or gearing (or both).

Are there people who buy multiple Novak 25.5 motors looking for the best one, I don't doubt it. But my experience is that this is very much the exception in USVTA and I have yet to experience it where I race locally or even at big events. The fast guys are just better through the corners.

I've been to several of the biggest VTA races, and my car is always about the same speed as the guys finishing on the podium. Often my car is faster at the end of the straight, such as last year's Southern Nationals. The reason I didn't do better was my car just didn't get out of the corners as well. It wasn't the motor. It was the setup.

To be fair, I have used 3 different Novak 25.5 motors since the switch. The first one was converted from a 17.5. The second one was for a spare car. And the 3rd one was actually a replacement stator for the 1st motor that I dropped on a cement floor (doh). On all 3 motors I was just as fast on the straights as the guys on the podium (sometimes I am on the podium too).

I will close this post by saying this. I'm sure there are better cars, motors, batteries, and drivers running USVTA than me. But I have never felt that it has given them any advantage that I couldn't overcome by working on my setup or driving. I have never felt that I needed to buy an advantage to be competitive. This is why I enjoy running this class.