R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Xray T4 '13
Thread: Xray T4 '13
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2013, 11:46 AM
grippgoat
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Has anyone tried Hagberg's ETS Gran Canaria setup on a US parking lot track? It uses kit springs so I was thinking of trying it. The big differences from kit asphalt seem to be -.75 front roll center, .5mm of arm sweep, shocks one hole down, middle front camber link, camber link shimming, and a low rear diff.

Last weekend turned out to be a practice day. The car seems to work well with the kit asphalt setup. I couldn't spot any particularly bad behavior, but I'm still getting used to mod. If anything, calming the car down a bit so I can be more aggressive with the throttle would be the most help, I think. Maybe a bit more steering while braking, but that may really just be a track layout thing. More overall grip in the corners would be nice, as always.

After all that effort I put into balancing the car, when I got the car home and put it back on the scales, the left side was reading 15g heavy. No idea how that happened. So I leveled my pit board on the workbench and dove back into it. I moved the arms forward 1mm (added 1mm ackerman shims to compensate), and put 4x 7g on the right rear next to the layshaft bulkhead. The car is back to 50/50 left/right, and about 51.7% rear. I'm hoping the extra rear weight will calm down the corner exit steering a bit. I also had very small tweaks in the swaybars that I got rid of. Xray could stand to go to an endlink more like HB/TOP for easier/finer adjustment of the endlinks.

I also went to AE 35wt (425cst according to bottle) all around, in hopes of just making the car easier to drive, and maybe keeping the tires a bit cooler.

-Mike