Thread: Spec-R R1
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2013, 06:30 PM
Kevin K
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JimmyMack12
Spec-R S1:

Getting the car to handle: took the car to the track for its maiden voyage last weekend. Medium-grip carpet (old carpet; getting replaced this month). Running it in VTA (Novak Edge/25.5 motor, 5000mAh SMC). Had to add over 100 grams (3.5 ounces) in weight; not much room to place it. Both front and rear shocks are laid in nearly to the most-inside. 25wt in front, 35wt in rear. Stock springs (might have others I can try). 3.0 degrees of toe-in in the rear. Put some SXT on the tires.

The car just wanted to spin out in every turn. I tried turning the steering way down. I had let off the throttle *waaaaay* back to even get the car to kind of "lay" into the turns, and even slower through the esses. Don't know how much "droop" is in it, as I don't have a gauge. But, the set screws in the A-arms are not even all the way through, so the arms lay down to the chassis. Had plenty of speed on straightaway (with the "fast" guys as far as the straightaway goes), but, because I had to let off early, they'd kick my a$$ through the infield.

Any suggestions?
Just looking at your posted setup you should change the oil in your shocks first. 25wt in the front is really light and will lead to massive amounts of steering when the rear is a heavier wt oil if both have the same size and number of hole pistions installed. It really sounds like you want 35wt in the front and 25wt in the rear. Also dont use so much tire compound on the front tires. Maybe cover the whole rear tire and just the inside half of the front. Also you can put the compound on the rear tires first and let it set for an extra 10 minutes before you put any on the front tires then clean them both off at the same time. Also make sure you have the stiffer of the two kit springs on the front shocks and the softer springs on the rear. Good luck!