R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - USGT
Thread: USGT
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2013, 08:28 AM
.crispy
Tech Addict

I came to this thread to see if there was any discussion about what bodies are legal and what bodies are people using and whoa boy, is it ever being discussed...

Originally Posted by Ropes
Come on, guys. Is it really necessary to ask for help deciding if a body is legal for the class? The answer should be in the name of the class itself, USGT. Not USRally, USHillClimb, USOffRoad, or USRecordBreakingGroundSpeedSetter.

I think, and it's just my opinion, that if you wouldn't see that body in the any of the Grand-AM Rolex or Continental Tire Series, keep in mind that the Daytona Prototypes have already been ruled out if I recall correctly, then it's probably not in the scope of the class.

Please don't stop sharing your pictures of your favorite cars and paint jobs...but the application of common sense goes a long way with the patience of many. I rarely make a post of opinion so don't take this as a bash in anyone's particular direction.

I love this class...it's fun to race and it's fun to watch. But the thing I love the most is that someone finally made "good use" of all the body shells that HPI, Tamiya, ProtoForm and the others were making, that weren't ROAR approved, and bring them into the spotlight. Let's not dillute that with other specific racing class inspired cars.
The problem with the above is that the rules say this:

Body Specifications:
Any 190mm or 200mm body. Body can be any body that is NOT on the ROAR T2 body list. FWD encouraged to use FWD bodies However, Can AM or IMSA style bodies, similar to 1/12 or 1/8 bodies are also discouraged NO Trucks
Any "SCALE" molded wings can be used. Lexan wings 10mm maximum height / side dam height
Scale type race liveries encouraged
Therein lies the problem. Using the word "discouraged" carries no legal weight.

Whereas I might agree with the spirit of what Ropes is saying, which is exactly the spirit of the suggestions in the rules, until the rules are firmed up, we're going to have this kind of discussion over and over and over...