R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Hot Bodies D413 1/10 4WD Buggy
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2013, 06:16 AM
rkhess
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Radio Active
The rule is there so that you don't need to buy a new set of batteries every time you buy a new chassis. Imagine the situation where every chassis manufacturer requires a different sized battery. Or where you can fit your standard sized battery in your new car, but it's uncompetitive because it has been designed for a different weight distribution.

The NiMH and NiCd rules had a stated size for the cells with a tolerance. It was an oversight not to include a minimum size for LiPos from the very beginning IMO (I said this when Losi first released their shorty pack).

HB have done the right thing by getting the car checked on this at Tech inspection. Just to be clear, I have no problem with HB's conduct. Incorrect rulings don't set precedents though, they're just incorrect rulings. As a competitor sometimes you don't realise a guy you're racing with is running an out of spec car until it comes to the mains, or even after. You're focussed on your own car, not those of other manufacturers, and generally you don't hang around the tech area looking to see what passes and what doesn't. So, what should you do when you realise late in the piece that something has slipped through?

As for the suggestion made above that only production cars should be able to be run at big events. Well, that would take a part of the fun away. And then where do you draw the line between a prototype and a production car someone has modified. The sport was built originally on modifying kits to make them raceable. I for one wouldn't want to lose that aspect of it.
so you dont think the consumer pays extra anyway for 3sets of parts for battery configuration and chassis milling and the R&D it takes to design a RC car that will be competitive with 3 battery options?

how long do we keep lipos anyway .....