R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Ask Aaron Waldron
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2004, 07:53 AM
dkj-M3
Tech Adept

The quality and all that of the heads are great and I'm not in any way bashing the quality of their product, I just I don't feel it's needed unless in extreme conditions to try to take some overall heat away from engine just to try to kep it away from bottom of case which is like crank and bearings. Keeping heat in the cylinder and a hotter cylinder is good for more power and effeciency-runtime, anything you search for and read will pretty much say that except for the r/c related sites that people put up, those sites have more wrong than right information on them. If you search for and read anything about 2-stroke engines, snowmobiles, dirtbikes etc.. the principles will be right for like what does hotter glow plug/advanced ignition timing do or this and that.

The biggest misconception is that if you have lets say a Novarossi engine and a Picco engine, both tuned right and everything in power department setup up as closelely to each other as possible or exactly the same like pipes, gearing, clutch, fuel and plugs, run them on same track, truck, and driver at same times in the day and both engines can have different operating temps by by maybe 30* or so. Nothing is wrong, one engine isn't tuned overly lean or rich, both are tuned correctly but what the general r/c racers assume is that the engine that runs hotter makes less power and needs to be run "leaner" to make good power which isn't true. The difference in power from one engine to another or running temps come from everything you can think oif, metallurgy, deck height, glow plug, nitro%, oil %, caster vs. synthetic oil %'s, gearing, parts fit/tolerances, size of taper in sleeve and type/angle of taper, clutch setup, bearing quality, air quality (ambient temp, humidity, elevation-barometric pressure), high or low traction track, tight or small track, type of driving, pipe length and type, manifold length and diameter (basically overall exhaust length and shapes), port timings, not same # of fins are used on head of every engine or overall surface area of head, same thing for external case design, volume of crankcase, combustion chamber design, if put clean or dirty air filter on and retune, there's more that I forget or just don't know about.

The easiest way to forget about running temps or to help forget about it is that stock motors, you have lets say a super torque motor like p2k or blue endbell paradox motor than a high rpm motor like monster pro or something. They both are geared properly with different sized pinions which equates into engines by needles tuned right but more times than not the rpm type motor comes off the track hotter than the torque based motor. They both run great on the track, nothing is wrong with them, just the temperature of them is different which is nothing to be concerned about. As long as your engine runs between 190-300* I wouldn't be concerned about it as long it sounds good and feels good. You can't always see smoke coming out of the pipe while you're driving depending on what the sunlight or angles are like but little smoke means you're just on the safe side too.