R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - TLR TEN-SCTE 2.0 Kit Thread
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2013, 08:36 AM
egobrkr
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MonsterSummit
Using a 14-15t pinion with the stock(40t) spur is not gearing low at all. Most common pinion size would have to be a 14(with 4-pole 4600ishkv motors) unless you run the new 4300HD, then going up to a 16t pinion is fine. From my experience 2-pole motors do not have a lot of low end to them which is why you gear them low and turn the timing up to achieve the top end you want. I would NOT start with a 14-15t pinion with a 4.5t 2-pole, you are just asking for trouble. I am at a 12-13(currently a 13t) and it is equally as quick if not quicker than 4600's and 4300hd's on big outdoor tracks. IMO, Kv ratings on a 2-pole motor are arbitrary numbers anyway.
With that being said, to each his own and if it somehow works for you then don't fix whats not broken. My point being I just do not think it is a good idea to start with such a high gearing(14t or greater pinion) with a new motor esc combo.
You are right. At my track I felt the 14t pinion low because my temps where under 100deg after a 8min race. It had plenty of torque but no top end. Then I started messing with the timing and that woke up the motor. Right now at that gearing and 25deg of timing I come off at 6mins at 135deg and 8mins 170deg. The temp really shoots up as the lipo gets close to cut-off. I used a 6800mah lipo once for an 8min main and came off at 145degs. So yes at the op's track that could be a hot gearing. I have raced on smaller track with my setup and the temps where a tad higher do to more breaking. They where about 155-160 on a small track.