R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2013, 06:12 PM
JamesL_71
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dr_hfuhuhurr
For general club racing what size tires do you start with?

I am sure this is in the thread somewhere but I went back and searched and didn't come up with anything usable.
It depends on a few factors... obviously the most important being what surface you are running on. Carpet will require much smaller tires than asphalt.

It also depends on what brand you are using... Jaco front wheels are smaller than the BSR/CRC or the Gravitys. The wheels are also much flexier and typically work better with smaller tires. You will be at least 1mm smaller in the fronts with the Jacos than the other brands.

That all being said, I hate the way 12ths feel on larger tires. Even with the BSRs, I typically start at 40.8mm front/41.8mm rears for club racing... this allows me to get a full day on the tires(in 17.5) before they are small enough to set aside for practice @ a big race or when the bite really comes up. If Im caring less about being competitive and just out there turning laps, I will do 41.2/42.2mm... but any bigger than ~41mm in the front makes for some odd handling quirks IMO. The front should be glued when you are running that big on anything more than low low grip carpet.