R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2013, 04:24 PM
Granpa
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Mechintosh
Are Type A Slicks worth purchasing and using over S Grips? With S Grips use soft or hard inserts? Our local track runs Sweeps, looking to run some TCS Events and tires were an issue. Playing catch up on learning Tamiya tires. ANy suggestions, gluing edges etc are appreciated.
Personally, I don't think so. The original Type A tire was great, but the present ones less so.

If you're planning on TCS racing, the #1016 is now available. My understanding is that the free choice on inserts and rims was going to end when the #1016 premount became available. Unfortunately, the "glue job" on these is shoddy so you should check this. I had one set that was glued on the inside, but not on the outside. There is a premount that is identical except it has a black rim. The difference being that the gluing is top notch, better than most of us can do. They aren't "legal", but you can always switch to the #1016s for the actual race cause they are identical in every other way.

I don't know anyone who has a really good handle on how these new S-Grips work. Lots of theories, set ups etc., but nothing for sure. As far as gluing goes, just smear a layer of cyano from the rim all the way to the edge where the sidewall transitions to the tread. Don't be afraid of going too far cause you'll soon wear it back to where it should be. Lots of experimentation and head scratching here too. Rubber ca or regular ca????? Tried both and can't see all that much difference.

Sorry, long post with very little info, but I usually don't post info unless I'm pretty sure that it's accurate.