R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class
Old 07-13-2013, 08:13 PM
aarcobra
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Diff Price and Availibility

Originally Posted by MrHistory
Most of the expensive NOS gear diffs I have seen are the British made AMPS gear diff conversion set for the RC300. AMPS made the 4wd Rapier chassis with the inline motor configuration, and supposedly made the best gear diff for the RC300.

Many vintage SG chassis have a similarly designed gear diff. You could likely buy a complete SG car for 300.
We need to have a diff that is Available, Cheap ($50), and one that you can get parts for. Buying stuff off eBay is not the way to go imo. Get a vintage SG diff for $300 and throw the rest of the car away and hope nothing breaks!

Even a diff from Moto or WRC is too expensive and won't "drop in".

Since I started racing in 1970, I was in on every and all diffs, from the Jacobs, to the AMPS, Thorpe and then the Associated and MRP Ball diffs. A simple ball diff on an 8mm axle with an adapter for "modern" wheels is all we need. Who can make them for us? I bet HobbyKing could sell 'em for $29.95!

I paid more for my first Associated 300 Diff (Custom made Jacobs) than I paid for the rest of the kit!!!

Ned