R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Serpent S411
Thread: Serpent S411
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2013, 10:20 AM
Johnny Wishbone
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by c_ngarza
Hello.. I'm new to this site as far as posting goes, but i've been on here religiously for some time researching a ton of stuff about on-road touring cars.... BUT as always... would like to get as many fresh, valued opinions from people with hands on experience with this chassis as possible. I dont mean to tickle anyones nerve sounding like every noob looking for general advice--- I know it comes down to setup and the driver in the end, but I am just looking for opinions to help me decide on a car. I'm not asking what "THE BEST CAR IS?" caus eI know you can be good in anything! I apologize in advance!

So, the guys at the track are telling me to get this crap OFNA JL10E roller that's on amainhobbies for about $120... Everything is built, but it seems as fragile as glass.

The guy who recommended that OFNA JL10E chassis to me is the driver beating guys that drive a BD7 and a TC6.1 with his OFNA roller made of plastic........

I had a chance to borrow all three cars to run a few practice laps.... This a teeny tiny asphalt parking lot track with a 100 ft straight.
Wow the Yokomo seems the fastest and easiest to drive

BUUUUUUT, Only thing is after I borrowed the OFNA it is just as fast, if not almost faster than the Yokomo... Being new to on road I find this weird!

I like the fact that Serpent has been around for a while, but how long have they been doing on road touring cars?? I heard there is quite a bit of shimming to do with the build and dremeling.... Is this normal for touring car kits>? I guess im used to helicopter kits where everything has extremely strict tolerances with zero play.... maybe I should be prepared for a build that "doesn't fit perfect"?

I'm torn between the XRAY T4 and this Serpent S411 ERYX 2.0.

My gut tells me to go with the Serpent..... My local hobby shop stocks crap parts and mainly traxxas parts. I would have to order parts online regardless.. Taking that into consideraton what would you all do? (I'm just getting into this category of hobby, but I am technically inclined... I have 9 helis.. one of them being a SAB Goblin 700.. I can build stuff pretty obsessively)

I'm looking forward to showing up with a suprise! sneaky serpent!
I won't go into a who's better deal, as you stated, it still comes down to the driver, seeing older or lesser quality cars winning races does happen. I do think that if you where to do a side by side comparison of the three cars you mention, you'll see that the two have some significant differences in chassis components and drive trains. Belt versus drive shaft, carbon fiber versus fiberglass, aluminum versus plastic, ball diffs versus gear diffs, the list goes on.

If you feel the S411 2.0 Eryx is too expensive, you could also consider the S411 Sport, the car is fundamentally the same format, just substituting some of the components with different materials.

Also, I don't think you would get the same forum support that you can get here for the S411.