R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - TRF101
Thread: TRF101
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2013, 11:00 AM
rtypec
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default TRF 101 Build - Steps 1-10

After watching Le Mans this morning, I got motivated to continue the build.

Please note the following:
  • Carbon reinforced parts were used instead of the kit supplied plastics
  • Titanium and aluminum fasteners will be used everywhere.
  • Carbon reinforced side links are directional. If they don't pop onto the pivot balls easily, flip them over.
  • Additionally, the titanium 2x6mm screws will go through a side link hole easily and bite into the other side. Position the side links so that the screw head is on the outside.
  • Ideally, the assembly consisting of rear lower brace, side links, pivot ball, center pivot, and lower deck should be as straight, smooth, and as slop free as possible. Take time when tightening screws to ensure that they don't bind any movement. F1 guru Rob King (aka robk) has an excellent video demonstrating his process in his rcF1blog website. Again, take time adjusting screw tightness.
  • My US kit (purchased domestically) has a production issue. I've sent a message to the mother ship and hopefully I was just an unlucky lottery winner with this kit.
  • Assemble the rear pod on a flat surface. Make sure the left and right motor mount as well as rear bulkhead plate are as straight as possible.
  • When attaching the rear shaft, a microscopic amount of side to side play is desireable. Certainly less than 0.1mm, as little as possible to prevent the bearings from binding. Adjust as necessary before fully tightening the grub and cap screw that holds the left wheel stopper.
  • Some one mentioned how the 101's rear end retains the same width as the older cars. The new car uses new parts.
  • A spur gear adapter and an extra 12x8mm bearing is included in the kit. The manual (step 8 shown below) instructs the use of a 96 tooth spur, 12 3mm bearings, and the spur adapter.
  • Leave the differential somewhat loose and do not fully tighten. Adjust differential tightness after break-in at the track.

Parts for the rear shaft assembly. The inner diff housing comes premounted on the carbon fiber shaft.

Steps 1-10 completed

Close up of the rear end assembly

Photo of Step 8
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	110_1.jpg
Views:	2335
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	1082152   Click image for larger version

Name:	110_2.jpg
Views:	2230
Size:	165.3 KB
ID:	1082153   Click image for larger version