R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 3 Racing Sakura D3 CS Drift
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2013, 01:28 PM
Caseymacgyver
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by slyts6
I can understand that front and rear will be different but I'm getting about 8 turns difference between left and right sides...
Yeah, 8 turns seems like an awful lot. Sounds like something is not right.

Binding, or uneven resistance between the left/right moving suspension components is always a possibility. With the height adjusted, and the shock collars uneven, do the shocks rebound uniformly? Easy to check for free movement by removing the shocks and moving the suspension through the range to see how they feel. Also check each ball cup of each shock separately for free movement. When I first built mine, I had threaded one of the ball cups too far down on the shock shaft, which made it too tight on the lower ball. It snapped on normally, but produced significantly more drag than the other.

Other things to check (Don't laugh, they've happened to everyone at some point:
  1. Same upper and lower damper mount positions.
  2. Ball cups threaded onto the shock shafts the same amount.
  3. Actually the same springs, regardless of color (Measure/compare wire size and count the coils).

Are you still running the battery longitudinal? Are the rest of the guts spread out to help the balance? Just wanting to know the variables that you're dealing with here. 2 or 4 digital scales would be ideal, but you can do a quick & dirty check of your left/right weight distribution by using a piece of angle iron flipped over to create a dull ridge. Anything tall enough to get all 4 wheels in the air would work fine too. Then just move the car left/right to try and find where it balances. Not very useful for fine tuning, but an 8 turn imbalance caused by weight distribution would be evident.