R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Schumacher Mi5
Thread: Schumacher Mi5
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2013, 10:21 AM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
So, had a great outing this weekend with the new Mi5. Yesterday was stop #1 on the Northwest Asphalt Challenge, a traveling regional points series up here in WA. All the fast guys were on hand from all over making their show.

We ran 3 quals with points (Best 2 of 3 quals) and a single A main. I qualified 2nd out of an A,B, and C main in 17.5 TC, but due to a rediculous incident with a back marker around minute #4, knocked me down to 3rd. I ran him back down but couldn't make the pass before the finish. Still a great overall with some steep competition. The car performed flawlessly.

The big change I made in the car, was the decision to run a diff in the front. Me and the other 3 Mi5 drivers there all made the change, and we ran 600,000cst oil in it. It really smoothed out the steering transitions when changing from off to on-throttle, and it really helped soak up some of the inconsistencies of the track surface... but at the cost of weight.

One big thing we all learned, (and maybe you guys already know this, but I didnt), but the steering rack slowly beds in as you drive the car. Even though the middle bearing doesn't back away, the steering rack slowly but surely gets looser and looser. Two of us had our steering racks pop out all on their own...luckily in practice, not in a race. I imagine I will have to re-tighten the rack probably once more.

Two of us stripped out our turnblocks in the front. The large bolt from underneath stripped right out. There was some fender to pipe contact.. but nothing I would consider very hard.

The only issue I currently see with my car, is I am developing quite a bit of play/slop in the front end, somewhere at the caster block/steering block. Can't tell if its the bearings, or some of the plastic somewhere... ill have to tear in and see. What a mad fun weekend.
Hi Brandon
all the Mi5 drivers and including kenny as well, did very well ...Brett is a good teacher..