R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2013, 10:45 PM
Granpa
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ic-racer
Shock length F & R? Or how many or what size spacers in the shocks F & R, and or shock type?
56.5mm F and 57mm R. You could probably use 56.5mm both F/R. The car was loose initially so may have lengthened the rear shocks 0.5mm. But that was with different tires. With the new S-Grips and Pit Shimizu tires it's so planted, the same length shocks should be okay. The shocks are TRF shocks from one of my old TCs. The shock shafts are the 28mm Mini shafts or piston rods as Tamiya calls them.

Just some stray thoughts on shocks. I rarely rebuild shocks so can't remember the # or size of the spacers. I don't like to use the black O-rings, but use spacers from the #53539 5.5mm spacer set so that 0.5mm adjustments in shock length are possible. Also Tamiya has some blue competition oil seals that are really good for people who like to rebuild shocks. They just don't hold up well. The clear, stock ones are the best. If you're using TRF shocks from a TC, measure the shafts cause some had longer shafts. The shafts should be 28mm long. I'm not a big fan of the #54000 TRF Mini shocks and their new set for Minis are ridiculously expensive. I like the new TC shocks, but don't have the part #. They come with the 28mm shafts so are easy to set up for a Mini and the slightly larger oil volume seems like an advantage.

The above paragraph was just some random thoughts, in no particular order, and just my opinion.