R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Xray T4 '13
Thread: Xray T4 '13
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2013, 03:32 PM
Skiddins
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by B00t13g
I disagree, a front diff does work well, but I definitely prefer a spool on carpet. It feels much better to me and lap times are better with a spool for ME.
Originally Posted by CristianTabush
Barry, easy test would be to just try a spool in the front and see if you still have the issue.

I would not say a gear diff is better in any condition. It's different. In super high bite tracks, it can make the car easier to drive, but it won't necessarily mean faster laps. Best thing to do is try them back to back.

I don't think a gear diff gives more steering either. It may give a little more initial turn in, but it tends to wash out as power is applied. Making it act much like a 2WD car under power. In high bite, this makes the car easier and more consistent to drive, however in low to medium grip, it does not allow the car to accelerate fast enough out of the corners. In medium high to high grip is when you will mostly see the benefit of a gear diff.

Also, the spool seems to do better under power in high speed sweeping corners and larger tracks where the gear diff is better for tighter, smaller tracks and under some conditions in large tracks with hairpins.

The common denominator I can say has been grip though. The higher the grip, the better the gear diff works.
Like the others have mentioned.
I've tried a gear diff with 2.5million on carpet and it just felt a bit lazy through the corners.

It felt a little better on a faster asphalt track with a lot of flowing corners, but that was running a 4.5
In stock it just seems to slow me down.