Thread: Serpent S411
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2013, 04:39 PM
TryHard
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Livingston
Ed,

Yes it is mid to corner exit, when the rear end starts to step out.
One of the things I thought it might be too much lock and ackerman.

Chris
One of my thoughts is that your having the rear of the car roll too much, which is effectively dumping the grip when you load the rear up. On new tyres there is the traction to handle it initially, and old Sorex's handle differently to new anyway (always tended to get looser ime).

Firstly, of raise the rear roll centre back up, this will give more forward traction, but stop the rear rolling so much. I'd also go back to a 3.0 rear block (again, IMO less rear toe is only really beneficial in stock racing on large tracks that are top speed limited..Eastbourne ain't large!), and take out some of the front arm sweep, if not all.

Personally I prefer running 1.5/1.5 front blocks at the moment, gives more initial steering than 2.0/2.0, and more stable mid to exit than 2.0/1.5. 2.0/1.0 will give a lot more middle, and take away initial.

The other suggestions I have would be to try a different motor mount setup, and play with the steering bump spacers.
I'm currently really liking the bd7 style mount, using just the front top deck screw, and a grub screw in the bottom. To lock the rear end down more, just run the normal option 2 rear end (both rear screws, no forward top deck screw).

As for bump spacers, try 3mm under the outer steering ball joint. It will smooth out the steering and give more mid/exit... Which sounds counter to what you want, but it i find it actually makes it easier to be smoother on the steering this way.

Give them a whirl and let us know
Cheers
Ed