R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2013, 03:33 PM
Granpa
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by forty2
So my 3Racing oil dampers and aluminum steering showed up yesterday for my new M-05. Only oil I've got on hand at the moment is 0 and 10 weight so I went ahead and built them with the unlabeled oil from the kit. I have some Tamiya springs coming as well (P/N 53333), but not here yet so I'm on the 3racing springs. The problem I had out running today was some really bad snap oversteer under braking. This is my first Tamiya M-Scale (I've got a Cup Racer) and and my first FF car since ~1995-1996 when I had a FF01 so I'm a little out of my element as far as tuning is concerned. I assume softer rear, harder front of course, but what else should I be looking at? I want to replace the oil right away, what oil weight is going to be a good jumping off point?
Sounds most like a tire problem. Try some others. Gotta have some decent tires.

Usually the kits come with a yellow oil and a clear oil. The clear oil is pretty heavy, but the yellow oil is the equivalent of 40 wt.

I'd suggest going back in the thread and doing a little research. There's tons of set up advice. For example, if you go back one or two pages, You'll find what the Aussies are using. Also w/out knowing whether the car is SWB, MWB, or LWB makes it tough cause, at least for me, they set up a little differently.